The Music & Media Department at the Morris County Library is a unique resource for all who wish to indulge their passion for the performing arts. There are very few public libraries in the United States with strong circulating and reference collections related to the performing arts. Boston Public Library, New York Public Library, Newark Public Library, Parkway Central Library of the Free Library of Philadelphia, and the Music & Media Department at the Morris County Library are some of the primary performing arts libraries on the East Coast. We are very fortunate to have such an incredible resource available locally.
The circulating collection includes:
- Multiple formats of music from all conceivable genres
- Instructional, study, and performance-related scores of music
- Spoken word sound recordings of compact disc and cassette fiction and non-fiction
- DVD and VHS recordings of feature films, foreign films, television series, and non-fiction titles across a wide-range of subjects
- Art prints (yes, art prints!) and slide sets of museum collections
The reference collection includes:
- 83,000 songs in various sheet music folios searchable by an electronic song index
- Music reference books that cover everything from Schenkerian theory to the number one singles charts of the 1950s
- One-of-a-kind CD-ROM databases such as the Tom Lord Discography and RockBase
CD Sheet Music editions for all standard repertoires to conveniently search and print
In addition, the Music & Media Department circulates audio-visual hardware such as slide projectors, phonograph turntables, and equipment for the blind and handicapped (TTY machines, braillers, etc.). Our public space has a listening room with CD and cassette players as well as turntables in addition to a viewing room with a television connected to a DVD and VHS player. There is also a multimedia computer in the viewing room where patrons can access CD-ROMs as well as download music and video.
With an incredible staff of qualified, performing arts librarians of various backgrounds and an enormous collection to rival any research facility, it’s no wonder that the Music & Media Department at the Morris County Library is a favorite among patrons.
If you’re not already a patron, please stop by and see us soon. We’d love to help you indulge your passion for the performing arts. Call us at 973-285-6979 or send us an e-mail.