Certain Morris County Library Reference staff will serve as proctors for exams taken by distance learners within the following guidelines.
Proctoring is free, except for possible costs of printing and mailing.
Exams are scheduled according to the availability of a proctor, a study room, and a computer (if for an online exam), and must be completed no later than ½ hour before closing.
The proctor will:
- Fill out proctor request forms from the school.
- Receive exams from the school by mail or email and contact the student, then make arrangements for a date and time for the exam to be taken.
- Make every attempt to observe that the student is following the guidelines set forth by the Institution while taking an exam.
- Monitor by sight the student taking the exam. Exams are taken in a study room within direct sight line of the proctor. Proctors cannot remain in the same room as the student.
- Send the exam back to the institution by email, fax, or mail.
- Keep copies of an exam for a short time if specified by the school.
The proctor cannot proctor online exams that require public access computer settings to be modified.
The library accepts no responsibility for Internet problems. We will contact the school if this occurs.
- The student will contact the school to arrange for exams and passwords to be sent to the proctor by mail or email.
- It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that our proctoring policy meets with the requirements of the institution giving the exam, in particular that the proctor does not stay in the room with the student. If exams must be signed by the proctor and one item says that the proctor remained in the room with the student at all times, the proctor will not sign.
- Students will be responsible for timely arrangements for taking the exam. If there is no contact from the student within 30 days or a specified school deadline, the untaken exam is returned to the school.
- Students will bring current photo identification.
- Students must come prepared with the necessary or required supplies to take the exam (non-programmable scientific calculator for example).
- If photocopying or printing is necessary, whether for printing out an exam or to make a photocopy after completed, the student will be responsible for paying 5 cents per page for black & white copies and 15 cents per page for color copies.
Provide postage or a prepaid envelope if the school has not done so.
For more information contact the Reference Department at 973-285-6969.